Haiku by Rolfe Gjellstad
Listen to our kids,
Who believe in gun control.
They can overcome!
New Members - Sunday March 25thth
During Coffee Hour, anyone interested in joining our church will benefit from our new members class offered by Pastor Bonnie. Please join us!
Tribute to Jennifer Pugh
At the New Haven Free Public on Monday March 26th, at 5:00PM., a specially commissioned Tribute and Window Dedication will be held for all who knew and loved Jennifer. The window is dedicated in recognition of her tireless and selfless dedication to the City and its residents. Jennifer Pugh's friends have planned for a one-of-a-kind stained glass window. The work is inspired by her love of the city, and in particular the library, where it will be installed as a lasting tribute to her 33 year career with the City of New Haven. The window has been designed by local artist and Jennifer's good friend, Robert Mele, and was constructed by Branford stained glass artist Jayne Crowley. The work reflects the nine-squares of New Haven and depicts parts of the city Jennifer loved most. The New Haven Free Public Library is located at 133 Elm Street (corner of Temple), New Haven CT.
An Easter Invitation from Our Pastor!
As Easter gets closer and closer, please consider inviting a friend to join us on Sunday, April 1st. Many lapsed or nominal Christians will come to worship when a friend, colleague or neighbor tells them about their church. We know there's no better place to spend Easter than United Church on the Green. It can feel strange to invite a friend, but you can help make someone's holiday meaningful, perhaps you can even help restore their faith! I took a risk and invited several friends who don't attend church to join us on Christmas Eve. They all came, and they're all still talking about the beauty of that service.
Holy Week Schedule
- Through March 26th Easter Floral Dedications: Donate Easter flowers in honor or in memory of loved ones to decorate the United Church Meeting House during Easter. Dedications must be sent to the office by Monday, March 26th, 2018. The donation is $20 per plant.
- Sunday March 25th Palm Sunday:The United Church School will be sponsoring an Easter Egg Hunt at 9:00AM before Palm Sunday Services at the UCNS Playground. Please bring your children and an empty Easter Basket. The UCNS Playground is located directly across the street from the Parish House behind 320 Temple Street. During Service, there will be a Procession of Palms and a special Collection for Heifer International. The United Church School students will be taking a collection for Heifer International, a nonprofit organization working to eradicate poverty and hunger through sustainable food sources.
- Thursday March 29th Maundy Thursday: Maundy Thursday Services will begin at 7:00PM at United Church on the Green, with special music. Please join us.
- Sunday April 1st Easter Sunday: Services begin at 10:00AM. Special Easter Prelude Music begins at 9:45AM including a Brass Quintet and Timpani, featuring the music of Handel and Bach.
Do You Want to Fast This Lent?
attributed to Pope Francis
- Fast from hurting words and say kind words
- Fast from sadness and be filled with gratitude
- Fast from anger and be filled with patience
- Fast from pessimism and be filled with hope
- Fast from worries and trust in God
- Fast from complaints and contemplate simplicity
- Fast from pressures and be prayerful
- Fast from bitterness and fill your heart with joy
- Fast from selfishness and be compassionate to others
- Fast from grudges and be reconciled
- Fast from words and be silent so you can listen
Abraham's Tent Project
United Church will once again host the Abraham's Tent project this year from March 19th - March 26th. This program is a cooperative effort between Columbus House and several congregations of faith in greater New Haven. The congregations open their facilities to house up to 12 homeless people overnight for one week each during the winter months. The Abraham's Tent Outreach Mission at United Church on the Green is in memory of Susan Nolen-Hoeksema, a long-time member of UCG who passed away unexpectedly. Susan was responsible for UCG's initial involvement in Abraham's Tent and we honor her memory with our ongoing commitment to this important ministry. To volunteer or donate for your time and food, contact George Lindsay at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about Abraham's Tent, read this article in the Daily Nutmeg.
Second Service Revival Worship
Rev. Edwin Perez, Jr. conducts our second worship service every Sunday at 11:30 this Sunday only. Enjoy special music and praise in his lively bi-lingual and joyful program which has been designed for those within the community who may appreciate a different Christian experience. It is a special bi-lingual, inclusive and progressively Pentecostal/ Charismatic musical worship service. The worship is entitled, "Feel the Spirit! ¡Siente El Espiritu!" Deacons Edwin Perez and Carlos Sanchez seek to provide love, welcoming and inclusion, with lively music and singing and a short reflection by your Pastor. We look forward to continuing to see you at one of our services - or even come to both!
If you would like a copy of our most recent worship bulletin CLICK HERE.